75 books to read before High School (or after)

 

   For those of you who don't know I've recently become an uncle. For those of you who know, you're probably tired of being told. I have already bought her many books. Reading opens doors to a new worlds with every turn of the page. The birth of my niece inspired me to write a list of books I think every child should read before High School! I tried to think of wide variety of books with different levels and for all interests! Everyone always says "books are better than movies," that is the case way over 99% of the time; however, I have found an exception 101 Dalmatians by Dodie Smith is the worst book I've ever read but is my favorite movie. Disney greatly improved this "tail." (Yes, I know I spelled that wrong, have a sense of humor.)

1. Help Me Mr. Mutt
2. A Pineapple Named Bob
3. The Giving Tree
4. Junie B Jones and the Stupid Smelly Bus
5. The Best Christmas Pageant Ever
6. Oh The Places You'll Go
7. Streganona
8. Miss Nelson is Missing
9. The Watsons go to Birmingham-1963
10. Maniac McGee
11. Operation: Dump the Chump
12. Walk Two Moons
13. The Wolf who Cried Boy
14. Ferdinand
15. Psst its Me The Boogeyman
16. The House at Pooh Corner
17. Alice in Wonderland (the first child's book ever published, it's historic)
18. Marco Comes Late
19. Horton Hears a Who
20. Come Back Amelia Bedila
21. How the Grinch Stole Christmas
22. Diary of a Wimpy Kid
23. If You Give a Mouse a Cookie
24. The New Kid on the Block
25. Arthur's New Puppy
26. Bernstein Bears and the Truth
27. Hooray for the Golly Sisters
28. New Kid in Town
29. The Flintstone (golden book, Fred and Wilma have a son Fred Jr.)
30. How I Became a Pirate
31. The Talking Eggs
32. Skinnybones
33. The Kid in the Red Jacket
34. Owl Moon
35. A Long Way from Chicago
36. Grace for President
37. Giraffes Can't Dance
38. James & the Giant Peach
39. The Jack Tales
40. Tacky the Penguin
41. Clark the Shark
42. The Pout Pout Fish
43. Dooby Dooby Moo
44. Officer Buckle and Gloria
45. Prince Cinders
46. The Monster Who Lost His Mean
47. The Relatives Came
48. Ghost Ship (mostly for the illustrations)
49. La BeFana
50. Frindle
51. Tom Sawyer
52. Anne Frank: The Diary of A Young Girl
53. Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry
54. Shiloh
55. Kingdom Keepers: Disney After Dark
56. Call of the Wild
57. Dr. Desoto
58. Cock-a-doodle-hooooooo
59. Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes
60. The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig
61. Corduroy
62. Divergent
63. The Giver
64. Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See
65. Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone
66. Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing
67. Wacky Wednesday
68. I Love You Stinky Face
69. Holes
70. Hatchet
71. My Side of the Mountain
72. The Lightning Thief
73. Where the Red Fern Grows
74. Baseball in April
75. Peak

         Well folks that's the list! Do you think I included some that shouldn't be there or missed some that should be? Write your favorite from the list below and include one I missed! Happy reading!

Comments