Let's Talk Disney Sequels!

There are some terrible Disney sequels (Return to Jafar) and some really great Disney sequels (Frozen 2). I'm gonna skip the worst and focus on the best! I am not here to discuss Pixar, solely Disney!  



I'm also gonna briefly mention the ones with higher budgets. Let's be real the higher the budget the better it should be.
Frozen 2, Ralph Breaks the Internet, Winnie the Pooh (2011), High School Musical 3, The Rescuers Down Under, Frozen 2

All these films were theatrically released with high budgets so they would be royality in terms of visuals at least. It would be unfair to compare when there are other good ones that went straight-to-video/DVD/TV. (I also think HSM 2 is better than the 3rd although the 3rd looks better due to budget!) 

Here's a 6 superlatives: 

Best holiday sequel: 
Beauty and the Beast: Enchanted Christmas 
   The animation is great. The music is very good. The story isn't as good as the original; but, I am willing to overlook it! 

Most beautiful animation: 
Bambi 2
    The animation is stunning. I watched it recently and couldn't get over how beautiful it was. The storyline was cute as well. Is it the best? No. But it is adorable. The music is good too. It has well known people such as Martina McBride and Allison Krauss. I save give this a watch especially if you like art. 

Best soundtrack: 
Lion King 2: Simba's Pride
     I think this soundtrack rivals the first. (Does it win? No!) Which is extremely hard to do; but, truly all the songs are memorable. It is very nicely done! "We are One" and "He Lives in You" are beautiful songs. I truly enjoy every song in this film! The story is good, the animation is good; but, adding this soundtrack takes this movie from a 3.5/5 to a solid 4/5. 

Best sequel with multiple storylines: 
Lilo and Stitch 2: Stitch Has a Glitch
       A frequent problem for me with many Disney sequels is they have multiple storylines and while they may be cute they feel like episodes from a TV show than a movie. Lilo and Stitch 2 essentially has 3 storylines but they found a way to intertwine them into one. Disney sequels with multiple storyline are often broken into segments, so I appreciate how this one flows. 

The underdog: 
101 Dalmatians 2: Patch's London Adventure 
           It seems nobody talks about this movie but it is absolutely adorable. The story is good. The animation is simple; however, if you go watch the original they kept the same style. 101 Dalmatians is the most unique when it comes to animation style. So I appreciate that they stayed true to the legacy. I grew up on a farm and consider myself a simple guy so maybe that's why I'm so attached to the original. When I recently rewatched this sequel I developed infatuation with this film! 

Best storyline: 
Mulan 2
          Is the animation great? No. Is the music great?It's not great but it's good. Is it my favorite sequel? No. However, the storyline truly is so good. I do not want to go into detail in case you havent seen it. 

Let me know your favorite Disney sequels. 
As always feel free to like, share and comment.












Comments

Clarise said…
Lion King 2 ❤️ I love how they bring the outcasts back and unite the two prides into one. And yes, I also enjoyed the animation and the music. The script and the story was great as well! My only real complaint is that they never explained how Scar chose Kovu when it appears that Kovu hadn’t even been conceived yet (I assume he’s suppose to be the same age as Kiara).

Great post, Nicholas