15 Minutes with Qiana Miles

 I first met Qiana in 2017 after a Voices of Liberty set. She also is in Festival of Lion King, my 2 favorite shows on Walt Disney World property. I asked for an interview so let's get to know a little more about Qiana. 


When and where did you start singing? 


  I started singing at 3 years old in the church, back in my hometown; Dayton, OH. 


Have you had voice lessons? 


 I have! I've had quite a few :) I took my first voice lesson at 10 years old. Once I started 7th grade at a Performing Arts School, Voice lessons were a part of the regular school day routine.

 
Did you study music in college? 

Yes, I did. I went to a HBCU (Historically Black College University)  Kentucky State University, and majored in Music. My time there was so valuable and pivotal in my musical development. Gaining more knowledge about music history, music theory, and embracing the versatility of my voice. 


Do you have other musical talents? 

  I used to play the flute :) I started in 4th grade, which was my introduction to reading music. I played the Flute all through High School in Orchestra and Band. Once I got to college, I wanted to focus more on voice. I still have my flute and pick it up to refresh my memory occasionally.


Before Co-vid you were singing once a week at a restaurant. Can you tell me a bit about it and how it came to pass? 

  Yeah every Thursday evening, I would perform at a seafood restaurant, Hook n' Reel. I would perform classic R&B, Neo Soul and some Pop favorites. This opportunity came to pass in a very unique way. My husband and I happened to be dining in the restaurant one evening and I noticed they had a stage set up for singers and musicians. I inquired about it to our waitress and mentioned that I am a performer for Disney. From there I was introduced to the manager, we set up a time and date to do a trial run and they loved it! It was truly something I didn't expect to happen so quickly. I had a desire to express my voice in other avenues outside of the Theme Parks. This was a perfect opportunity to do that. It was work but it was also a beautiful learning experience and avenue for self expression to sing the songs that I wanted, when I wanted, and how I wanted. I was in control and it has helped me to step out more as Qiana Miles the Vocalist/Artist.

You perform at Disney World. You have been in Festival of the Lion King (FOLK) and Voices of Liberty (VOL). How did that come about and how long have you been there? 

   Working for Disney is a dream I never thought I had until it happened. Growing up in Ohio as a child, I always had dreams of traveling to Disney to see my favorite Characters and Princesses. That dream didn't come true until I was hired as a contracted performer in 2012 through a seasonal show, Joyful. Well after that, I began to find more interest in the show offerings within the parks and started auditioning. The first show I was cast for in 2013 was Play N' Dine, a singer and character dining show in Hollywood Studios. The show eventually closed down, and I attended many auditions including FoLK and VoL. It took quite a few attempts before I was chosen for both stages. Through this process I learned that it wasn't about my voice directly, but timing. Looking back I appreciate it so much. 

I was cast for Voices first after being contracted for the 2015 season of the Candlelight Processional show. From there I attended a workshop for Voices specifically and was hired on as a Soprano 1 Sub performer in 2016. It was such a unique experience and I was full of many emotions :) The level of focus, discipline, and training took my musicianship to another level. It was the next level forward that I needed. People come to hear us all the time and fall in love with the Voices group sound, the arrangements and the unique voice types, all while never really knowing how much work it really takes to achieve a place on the floor in the rotunda. An experience I will always cherish and think back on. In 2017 I was offered a full time position with the group and have been with them full time as a 1st and 2nd Soprano up until Feb 2020. I still sub with the group and look forward to every opportunity I have to sing those beautiful arrangements with some of the best voices I have ever worked with.

In 2017, I also got the chance to learn the Festival of The Lion King show. This show was my dream come true. I remember when The Lion King film was released and how I saw it in the Movie Theater and fell in love with the story and what it represents, the characters and the music. I saw the show on Broadway in college and fell in love with it all over again! So here I am now an adult finally getting the chance to tell this story in the most beautiful unique way at Animal Kingdom! With all of the musical knowledge I gained from years of training and my time at Voices, it was perfect timing for this transition. Leaving Voices to move to FoLK full time this year was so hard to do, but it was yet another move forward for me. I truly have the best of both worlds being able to frequently perform in two of the parks top tier shows. Lion King allows me to now step into my own roots of what this story represents and proudly share its lessons and joy with so many people from all over the world. 

 

In 2019 at the 4th of July VOL outdoor concert you sang "The Star Spangled Banner" which is pretty much exclusively sung from another soprano in that group. How did you feel stepping in to fill those shoes? 

   Man. It's hard to talk about this and not get emotional still. This was a major performance for me. It wasn't just, Oh I'm going to sing the national anthem. It was way more than that and so much deeper. The soprano who usually leads this big finale, encouraged me to step into this opportunity in her absence. Our Vocal Director also encouraged me and gave many pep talks, guidance and amazing direction in making this not only a great performance but to make it memorable for me and to sing this anthem from my point of view. To tell the story and express the history of America from my eyes with the spirit that is within me. Once I knew I had license to do so and not to imitate, I dug deep. I had to get over fear and self doubt, I had to fight internally the doubt of others, I had to push through the vocal insecurities and just SING! And not only did I do this once, I had to do it for 3 shows; however, rain got in the way of one of those shows. I was so grateful and honored that the Soprano and Vocal Director thought so highly of me and trusted me and my abilities to step in and deliver. It made me realize even more that I do have what it takes. Sometimes you need that push into uncharted territory to grow. Everything about that moment was growth and a development of confidence for me. It meant everything to me as a young black female to also sing this song and convey the message of hope for a better America that's truly for all!



You are currently full time with FOLK tell me why you love that show! 

I love The Festival of The Lion King because it's one of those shows where if you blink and look in a different direction for one second, you'll miss something major. You have to come see it again and again to catch all the beautiful elements within the show. It's high energy even during the moment of "Can You Feel The Love Tonight". There's an aerial moment that just takes the scene to another level! There's pyro, there's a parade and so much more with the main characters, Simba, Timon, and Pumba. Then on top of that, there are so many moments for guest interaction and participation where you can play a part in telling the story physically. I just love that every show within the day will be different and as Princess Kibibi, I gain a new perspective depending on where my heart and mind decides to reside while telling the story.

You started at Universal before Disney and are still there occasionally. How did it feel to perform in a theme park on your first day?

  Yes! Universal Studios was my first theme park home. I was fresh out of Grad school getting my M.S. in Business from Full Sail University and I had very little experience on my performance resume. I was thrilled to join the Universal Team as Bride of Frankenstein in the Monsters Review Show: Beetlejuice. That show challenged me from a performing aspect because there was never a moment to breathe; especially in 90+ degree heat. Full on choreography, singing, and acting. I lived for every moment doing that show. My first day in I was a nervous wreck. Second guessing if I knew all my lyrics, notes, blocking, choreo counts, everything. But standing behind that door, hearing the music go up, the smoke machine was going, the door swung open and BAM I was in! All the nerves disappeared and it was like an outer body experience. I was a completely different person and I enjoyed every minute of it. I'm so sad that the show isn't around anymore because it was truly a unique show. 

I still get to play in the Diagon Alley with an expensive cast spelling diva, Celestina Warbeck. "The Celestina Warbeck and The Banshees Show" is a fun jazzy experience. From the lead vocals and harmonies to the interaction with guests it's always a good time there. I love it. 


What is something that gets you through a tough day? 

  What typically gets me through a tough day honestly is sitting in silence. Driving home from work in silence and just being in a space of no noise beyond my own thoughts. Of course that can go either way sitting in silence with your own thoughts after a tough day, but for me it's always soothing. It's a moment for me to talk myself out of any negative thinking or feelings and to really sit with how I'm feeling and what I can do to change the moment. Or to not think at all and just be. After that, I'll lean to my favorite songs that bring me joy or will help ease my mind.


What hobbies do you have? 

  Well over the time of quarantine, I think I've gained a new hobby in painting. NO I am not a visual artist by no means :) I just love taking a blank canvas and turning it into something I feel is beautiful. I gain my inspiration from Pinterest and have really been drawn to shapes and colors (Teal, Gold, and Coral or Burnt Orange). I use those paintings to help decorate my home studio that I also developed over the quarantine. 



What's next for Qiana? 

So many things :) My husband, Chef Shonari, and I have ventured into business together as a duo under the title, "Savory Vibes". We are a mobile dining and live entertainment experience. We come to your home and set up a beautiful 3 course meal, in which Chef Shonari cooks in your kitchen. I provide live atmosphere vocal entertainment to fit your occasion. We just started the business in September and have had great success already! It's a beautiful thing for us to both do what we love and share in it together.

 For myself, I am working on original music. Songwriting has been a secret in my life since I was about 15 years old. I was also a composition major in college but once I graduated, I began to place it to the side. Well now I'm deciding to pick it back up and write music that speak to my heart. Having R&B/Neo Soul and Gospel roots you can expect the music to stay within that genre, while incorporating other musical influences too. I'm so excited about it and actually looking to release my debut single soon. 


How do you keep challenging yourself? 

  I always keep the mindset of a student. I'm always eager to learn from someone no matter the age and to take something from every opportunity I get. I'm a huge observer and learn well by watching. So to keep challenging myself, I try to pick the brains of people from inner close circles within entertainment and I just apply those gems to my life and the road I'm on. I listen to so many different genres of music to develop a fresh ear and appreciation that hopefully will inspire my writing and singing styles. Anyone from cast members, indie artist friends, vocal directors, to my favorite and well known artists, I'm always watching, making a mental note and applying it to help me grow. I try to use the rule, "If it doesn't scare you, you're not dreaming big enough and if you don't need any help, it's not big enough".

Follow Qiana on Instagram at qi_sings. 
Or visit her website www.qianamiles.com

Comments

RhoRB said…
Great story of perseverance and sheer talent. I love R&B, NeoSoul and Gospel and I can’t wait for your single to drop �������� #SavoyVibes