Nicholas' Playlist part 4: What Do I Know by Ed Sheeran




Ain't got a soapbox I can stand upon 
But God gave me a stage, a guitar and a song
My daddy told me, "Son, don't you get involved in"
"Politics, religions or other people's quarrels"
    So what Ed is saying here is I am not going to get wrapped up and share my views on politics and religion, but I have a stage, guitar and a song given by God. He is saying God is greater than religion, I believe. I think most people would agree.
I'll paint the picture, let me set the scene.
I know when I have children, they will know what it means And I'll pass on these things my family's given to me Just love and understanding, 
positivity.
    Love, understanding and positivity I think if we let these things flow from our hearts the world would be a better place. It is such a simple stanza. 
We could change this whole world with a piano
Add a bass, some guitar, grab a beat and away we go
I'm just a boy with a one-man show
No university, no degree,
but Lord knows Everybody's talking 'bout exponential growth
And the stock market crashing in their portfolios
While I'll be sitting here with a song that I wrote
Saying, "Love could change the world in a moment", but what do I know?
Love can change the world in a moment, but what do I know?
Love can change the world in a moment
    So in this longer stanza he is saying music and love can change the world even though he isn't highly educated he can still make his impact with music and love. We can all do our part and we all have different goals. 
I think this song is fun, simple and true. I think music has the power to make a powerful impact. It allows people to think maybe in a new way or let out those emotions. Another reason I like this song is it feels like how he approaches writing new songs. It is almost a writing lesson. 

Comments