Nicholas' Playlist pt 3: Nobody Knows by The Lumineers from Pete's Dragon Soundtrack


Even though this movie slid under the radar I always really liked this whole soundtrack. I recommend it if you like acoustic rock. Try it out. 

This song is so simple. Nobody knows how to say goodbye. I mean that is the hardest word in the English dictionary and its one of the first words we use. So it should be easy. 

Nobody knows how to say goodbye Seems so easy 'til you try. Then the moments passed you by
Nobody knows how to say goodbye

Nobody knows how to get back home And we set out so long ago Searched the heavens and the earth below
Nobody knows how to get back home

When you leave for college or move out for the first time and you go back home for a visit its always feels nice but different. I think home is a weird concept for me as a single guy in his 30's. Sure I have wonderful roommates and a nice town house but I still don't feel like its home but going back to the house I grew up in feels like home in a way but not in another. 

Through the darkness to the dawn And when I looked back you were gone
Heard your voice leading me on Through the darkness to the dawn
Love is deep as the road is long It moves my feet to carry on
Beats my heart when you are gone Love is deep as the road is long

This above stanza could be about a love, a parents or God. 'I heard your voice leading me on.' Wow, who we talking about here? I would love to ask the songwriter. I think its about a dead parent or spouse maybe. Either way its simple yet deep, which as Mister Fred Rogers would say is better than shallow and complicated.

This last stanza you're about to read is a call to action to do what we can now because nobody knows how it will end. I would've used the word "when" instead of "how" but that's okay. Regardless, still one of my favorite songs! 

Nobody knows how the story ends Live the day, do what you can
This is only where it begins Nobody knows how the story ends Nobody knows how the story ends

Comments