Why Prince of Egypt catapaulted Dreamworks to competetor status!

         I grew up in church. We went three times a week. I always enjoyed the stories of David, Jonah but my favorite was Moses. Moses is the man. He accomplished a lot but had his own struggles. When I was around 8 years old Dreamworks released a movie called "The Prince of Egypt". It is an incredible movie and the soundtrack is fire! I have always loved it. So today I am going to talk about it. 

    The story of Moses has always inspired me. The Mother sets him free so maybe he would have a chance to be freed of death from the Pharoh. Pharoh wanted to kill or enslave his people. The daughter of The Pharoh finds him and her Mom raises him. He gets to live in the lap of luxury. Doesn't God work in mysterious ways?

           Fast forward, he finds out who he is and then sets his people free from the reign from the people that raised him. Wild. Plus, he can't speak well so his birth brother speaks for him. Again wild. I just love the story of Moses. Every time I think about it I just think 'wow.' The movie while is not accurate completely to the Bible it is still entertaining and true enough that I can overlook the little things.

        Most people know the story of Moses and I think it is why it was picked. Without the success of the movie I don't think Dreamworks would be as successful in animation and we would have not gotten Shrek. 

        The voice cast is incredible.It is more staked than Shrek in my opinion. And I do love Shrek.
Copied from Wikipedia below. Mind blown. 

Voice cast[edit]

Val Kilmer (left) and Ralph Fiennes (right), the voices of Moses and Rameses respectively.

           Lastly, the soundtrack! Beautiful. Every song is a masterpiece. The opening number. "With the sting of the whip on my shoulder and the salt of the sweat on my brow. God can you hear your people cry?" What an opening line. "All I Ever Wanted" is the song when Moses finds the truth. Lyrics and music is amazing. "Through Heavens Eyes" is a huge song and then you got the beautiful ballad "When You Believe". Go back and listen again. Look below at this. Another shout out to Wikipedia. 

(Also, check out Voctave's medley. Phenomenal!)

Track listing[edit]

All tracks are written by Stephen Schwartz, except where noted. All scores composed by Hans Zimmer.

No.TitlePerformer(s)Length
1."When You Believe (from The Prince of Egypt)" (produced by Babyface)Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston5:04
2."Deliver Us" (produced/arranged by Zimmer)Ofra Haza and Eden Riegel7:15
3."The Reprimand" 4:05
4."Following Tzipporah" 1:00
5."All I Ever Wanted (with Queen's Reprise)" (produced/arranged by Zimmer and Harry Gregson-Williams)Amick Byram and Linda Dee Shayne2:51
6."Goodbye Brother"Ofra Haza5:33
7."Through Heaven's Eyes" (produced/arranged by Gavin Greenaway)Brian Stokes Mitchell3:41
8."The Burning Bush" 7:17
9."Playing with the Big Boys" (produced/arranged by John Powell)Steve Martin and Martin Short2:52
10."Cry" 3:50
11."Rally" 0:42
12."The Plagues" (produced/arranged by Gavin Greenaway)Ralph Fiennes and Amick Byram2:40
13."Death of the First Born" 1:07
14."When You Believe" (produced/arranged by Hans Zimmer)Michelle Pfeiffer and Sally Dworsky4:55
15."Red Sea" 5:14
16."Through Heaven's Eyes"K-Ci & JoJo5:05
17."River Lullaby"Amy Grant3:57
18."Humanity"Jessica AndrewsClint BlackShirley Caesar, Jesse Campbell, Beth Nielsen ChapmanBoyz II MenKevin Max4:32
19."I Will Get There" (writers: Diane Warren)Boyz II Men4:20
Total length:76:00

        It is a true masterpiece! 


Comments