Ranking and Reviewing All Films I watched in Theatre: 2023!

Buckle up, this is a long one! I am here to rank and review all 34 films I saw this year! I saw 35 but will only rank 34. If you read the whole thing, you will see why. 














Let’s get started! 

(Notes:  *- Early screening **- Dolby or Imax format ***- Early screening + Dolby)

Puss In Boots 2: The Last Wish. (PG) 102 minutes

This may have been my favorite movie of the year. I think it's better than Shrek one and just as good as Shrek 2. I think that Shrek three and four are mediocre as well as the first Puss in Boots film. This is an excellent addition to the Shrek franchise. I was skeptical going into it because the last 3 movies in the Shrek franchise are mediocre, but it far exceeded my expectations. The characters were great, the animation was amazing. The wolf is literally so well drawn I got chills. The best animated character from Dreamwork's ever! I just can't say enough about this film. See it! This is a sequel much better than the original. And that song Puss sings at the beginning is so fun and catchy. Also, who doesn't love Selma Hayek? 

Jesus Revolution. (PG-13) 120 minutes

          Usually, Christian movies lack in one area or another either acting or the budget is low. I think this is the best one we've ever gotten. I put this story was compelling that acting was good the story flowed well its budget was high enough to do what they needed to do it was well done.  Sadly, too often you see negative things about Christianity. In this movie is a teenager who grows up to become one of the best pastors of our time. The trailer made it seem about a pastor vs a hippie it is not, it's more about the teenager.

The Super Mario Bros (PG) 92 minutes

This movie was super cute and brought me back to my childhood. I played this video game with my cousins, uncle, and sister. I really enjoyed although little nods to Mario pop culture throughout.  The standout was Jack Black as Bowser. The animation was great, the story moved nicely. I also liked how it gave some background before you really get to video game world.  If you grew up playing Mario, you MUST watch it. It's just a big can of nostalgia. The mid-credit scene was hysterical! 


Air
(R) 111 minutes

This movie took a story you already are familiar with and told it in two hours. It almost made it seem like you don't know the outcome. I was on the edge of my seat which is crazy because you know Michael Jordan signed and made shoes with Nike. The story moved well, the actors were great, it was funny. It's basically everything you would want in a movie. However, I don't like that it was rated R because there were so many unnecessary curse words.  It could’ve been PG-13 and the same goals would've been achieved. The cast is great as well. 

Big George Foreman (PG-13) 129 minutes

         This is very inspirational. It is a story of a boy who grew up very poor, not sure where his next meal is coming from and overcomes adversity and would become one of the greatest heavyweight boxers of all time. The story is great, the acting is pretty good but there were some hiccups with the movie. I think the budget was a little too low or maybe the director/producers, screenwriters were new. It just needed to iron some things out a little bit more. The standout is Forest Whitaker as George's mentor.


Guy Ritchie’s The Covenant (R) 123 minutes

This is the only movie I saw in theatres twice this year. I loved the compelling story and friendship about a US soldier and the middle eastern man. You could say this movie is sort of in three parts. The first and third parts are incredible, the second part gets a little bogged down and clunky. But I think this is the best story that's been told in cinema since COVID and the fact that it slid under the radar really upset me. Please rent this movie. It’s an important story to know. It’s based off several stories that were kind of compiled into one.  If you don't like war movies, I understand that this really isn't a war movie, it's about friendship and therefore I think everyone should see it. Dar Salim compliments Jake Gyllenhaal well, and both characters are total bad asses.

Next up is a two-fer. Both Disney films I saw them both on the same day!

The Little Mermaid** (PG) 135 minutes &

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3 (PG-13) 149 minutes


I really liked the on-land scenes of mermaid. I did not like the underwater scenes. The new songs were alright. Jodi Benson’s cameo was awesome! The actors did fine. Hallie Bailey was good. I thought the sailors’ scenes were cool, but I like boats/ships, so I might be biased. I liked exploring more of Ariel and Eric’s romance that we see. 

As far as Guardians I thought it was better than 2 but I didn’t love how it ended. I wanted a completely different ending, and I did not get it. But that’s OK. I still think it was a solid entry to the trilogy. I also think #3 is as good as the other 2. I am not a huge fan of the trilogy but I wanted to see Mermaid and the timing worked out perfectly I had 10 minutes to go to the bathroom before this movie started, so I thought why not? I am glad I saw it. 

About My Father (PG-13) 90 minutes

This comedy was short, only like 85 minutes before credits which isn’t a lot of time to introduce a family, give the conflict and resolve but it does it. The ending is abrupt, yet funny. I don’t understand why it came to theatres, I think a Netflix or cable movie would’ve sufficed. When compared to the other movies I saw in theatres it’s going to be towards the bottom but for a streaming service or cable movie it would’ve been solid. If you are a child or grandchild of immigrants, I think you would enjoy/relate.

Kandahar (R) 120 minutes

This movie was OK but seeing The Covenant about a month earlier fell so far in comparison. I actually watched it because I loved The Covenant so much. It is a war movie, but it deals more with behind the scenes like people in offices quite a bit which is unique in nature. I thought it was an interesting story, but it was not my type of film. Gerald Butler was good, like expected; but it is probably my least-favorite film of the year.  If you enjoy war films give it a shot. The reviews are good from those who enjoy the genre. 


                               Elemental (PG) 109 minutes

This movie tells a neat story with some nice underlying messages for kids without getting too preachy. I liked how this story flowed but the biggest drawback for me was the fact the animation looked so much like “Inside Out”. I liked the new characters. I really like Bernie’s character. The animation was beautiful but not groundbreaking like The Last Wish (or the next movie.) It looked too much like "Inside Out". Pixar used to be known for groundbreaking and it seems lately they have been playing it safe. But I love the story, truly. It is cool that the writer/director got inspiration for this story from his own life experience! 

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-verse** (PG) 140 minutes

The first movie was good, and I did not expect it to be so good and didn’t think this one could be topped but it sure was! I laughed, I cried, I was on the edge of my seat. It moved me! I didn’t like the cliffhanger and need to see part 3 right now! The characters and stories were compelling. The animation was super cool! Very groundbreaking! I can’t wait to see more! Also, Myle’s Mom is oddly hot I feel weird thinking about it. And his dad is fun too! I really enjoy all the characters from the main down to the supporting characters. This movie is a great way to introduce children to the film side of super heroes. 

                                  Flash ** (PG13) 144 minutes

    I enjoyed this movie quite a bit. It was funny and pretty good storytelling. I don’t love Superhero movies, but I did enjoy it. I thought the story was compelling and moved well. I liked the addition of the other superheroes in the film. The thing that kept this from a higher score is all the time travel. I think it became a little much towards the end. I bet you will never forget spaghetti sauce at the store ever again if you watch this.


Indiana Jones 5 ** (PG-13) 154 minutes & 

Mission Impossible 7*** (PG-13) 156 minutes

While I like Indiana Jones and Mission Impossible sagas, I don’t love them. They are action movies and action movies aren’t my forte. I think these two sagas are classic when it comes to film because of the 12 films they are all at worst mediocre and at best epic. I did see MI:7 early and it showed some behind the scenes footage instead of previews before the movie, which was neat. I put these together because they are classics and I saw them the same week. It is hard to talk about the best series in cinema and not mention these. I think both of these films had really great moments, but neither are my go-to films. 

Oppenheimer ** (R) 180 minutes

This movie, (even though hard to watch and long,) is incredible. It truly is just about perfect storytelling. Although one scene gets very awkward, as far as cinema goes this is probably the best movie on this list; however, it was not my favorite. The actors were incredible. The cinematography out of this world. If you like history films, it is truly a must see. (And hi Josh Peck?) Looking for Oscar nominations and wins. Probably the most unique film on the list! A few scenes are hard to watch and that may knock it down a few notches. 

Haunted Mansion (PG-13) 123 minutes

This movie was nice, but I prefer the Muppets or Eddie Murphy versions. I liked the main character he was cool and probably the standout. I did not like Jamie Lee Curtis. One cool thing about seeing this is I was the only person in the theatre, so it was like watching at home by yourself with a massive TV. The same day I also saw the following film. 

TMNT: Mutant Mayhem * (PG) 99 minutes

I enjoyed this movie way more than I anticipated. It was very heartwarming, and the animation was unique. The voice actors were great, and I think it was a nice entry to the saga. I really liked the interactions between the turtles and their dad. Also cool I got to see this about 5 days before its wide release. The humor did get a little odd at times, this is my biggest critique. 

Blue Beetle ** (PG-13) 127 minutes

This movie wasn’t on my radar, but I am so glad I saw this one! The story moved well and was charming. I liked Xolo as Jamie/Blue Beetle. Let’s not forget Grandma, she was the coolest person in the movie! She stole the show! The thing bringing it down from a higher score is the villain. I did not like Susan Sarandon. I don’t like her at all, to be honest. I think it is cool to have a Hispanic superhero I can’t think of any other. This movie was funny so get ready to laugh! Xolo Mariduena was great!

Gran Turismo ** (PG-13) 134 minutes

This real-life story is fascinating. It is cool! However, I do not love racing/sports movies. I probably would not have watched it without my pass or the fact it was based on real life events. I think it needed to be about 15 minutes shorter. The acting was OK.  I do think the idea of how this story came about and the outcome was creative and that is reason enough to let the world know.

     My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3 (PG-13) 92 minutes

I didn’t see the 2nd movie until after this one. I enjoyed the first one. This one was fine. It had some funny moments. I like the Grecian young lady in this film. It was a cute film with a nice message and better than the 2nd and more heartwarming than the 1st. It does have a few sad moments but a happy ending.

Dumb Money (R) 105 minutes

This movie was good. Way better than I expected. It is a story about some nobody and how he drove the Game Stop stock price. I will be blunt here the reason I didn’t rank this higher was the opening song is filth. I realize it is rated R, but this story could’ve been PG13 instead. There was no point in making this story an R rated film and having that first song in this movie made me cringe. I do recommend this movie to anyone who likes compelling stories. I know sometimes movies make a friendlier version so maybe that will happen. If they replaced that first song, I would recommend it to more people. The cast was incredible!

Now for the father- son duo: The Equalizer 3 and The Creator. While I think I prefer Denzel as an actor and like this trilogy The Creator has a slight edge. I think it’s cool that I saw these movies back-to-back.

The Equalizer 3 (R) 109 minutes

I had never seen the first two Equalizer films until the trailer dropped for this movie and I thought “I have to see these movies.” So, I watched them and liked both. I do think this is better than the 2nd but the 1st is best. I liked seeing Dakota Fanning on screen with Denzil again.  I heard it said in a review, “The Italian town feels like a charming character all its own.” I agree. I liked how simple this movie seemed. It had room to breathe which I appreciated a lot and that alone knocked it up a few spots. The director did very well and understood the assignment. 


                           The Creator (PG-13) 133 minutes

I am not a sci-fi guy, so I really wasn’t intending on seeing this film; however, the reviews were pretty good and with my pass I thought “Meh, Why not?!” I am glad I did. Denzil’s son John David Washington is a decent actor. The story moved well but I wasn’t really sold until the last 30 minutes. The ending is INCREDIBLE. The ending alone tied it all together and knocked it up a few spots. The special effects were neat. Glad I saw it. Just keep in my this is not my genre. 

           Killers of The Flower Moon (R) 206 minutes

               I have only seen a few Martin Scorsese films; so, I am not going to say this is his best, but a lot of critics are saying it, while just as many are saying it’s in the middle. This movie is long. Like 3 and a half hours long. But it is a compelling story with some of the best acting EVER! I enjoyed it. I don’t know if I could ever watch it in one setting again because it’s over 200 minutes. Robert DeNiro and Leonardo DiCaprio are incredible, but Lily Gladstone is just as good. Lily steals every scene. I wanted more of a mystery you get the reveal or at least assumed one very early. Apparently, the book has more of a mystery quality and from the FBI point of view. It is based on a true story.

         Trolls 3: Band Together *(PG) 90 minutes           

I love Trolls 2 and quite enjoyed the first, so I was excited to see this movie. It starts off as a prequel which is interesting and after that fizzles quickly. Even though it was less than 90 minutes before the credits rolled, I was ready for it to end about 20 minutes earlier. The parents beside me both fell asleep. I felt like they left me in charge of their kids. I think this should’ve been a TV special. Biggest letdown of the year.

Next Goal Wins * (PG13) 110 minutes

       This was neat. I got to see this movie as a surprise. I didn’t know what I would see until the movie started. As part of AMC’s “Screen Unseen”. When I saw this trailer. I thought it looked like a cute real-life story. The acting was not top notch; however, the story line was concise and focused. I enjoyed the simple plot line. It was also very funny, something I didn’t see coming. Probably the funniest sports film I've seen. A nice true event story. This is typically a type of movie I would adore; but, the flawed acting and small budget will set it back several spots. I do think it is unique for the fact it is a movie based on true events and a comedy. That's pretty rare. 

Journey to Bethlehem (PG) 100 minutes

               I was skeptical to see this. I didn’t want it to make fun of the Bible. I also am skeptical about faith-based films as the acting is usually awful. This was good. I enjoyed it and it was the only musical on the list. It was comical but stayed true. Seeing Antonio Banderas as the villain King Herod was weird. I love him as Zorro, Puss in Boots and Spy Cortez. He was good, it just made me squirm to watch King Herod on screen. The wisemen were funny. I say give it shot. One of the songs was stuck in my head.  

The Holdovers (R) 133 minutes

               This film was not on my radar initially; however, the reviews were incredible. I think it is a solid movie with great acting. I liked the fact that it was set in the early 70’s and it looked like it was. The filmmakers made this movie look old school. The story was good, unique. It flew under the radar at first then caught some wind, which is unusual. It was as funny as it was sad. 


Wish * (PG) 95 minutes

               The Walt Disney company turned 100 years old, and Wish is dubbed “The story 100 years in the Making”.  I thought the beginning was a little slow and tried a little too hard to be like Encanto, but the ending was great! I think there were too many side characters which kept this movie from ranking higher. However, the scene when the villain is overthrown, I got chills! The backgrounds look a little muted at times which feels weird for Disney, but I think the reason is because they wanted to pay homage to old films and show the progress that has been made. I did think there were too many side characters. 

Napoleon ** (R) 157 minutes

               I love a good history film. Apparently, there will be a 4-hour version released in 2024. I thought the movie was stunning. Everything was beautiful. The costumes, the fireplaces, the windows it was stunning! It was set in early 1800's. The story is compelling. He conquered anything and everything he wanted to. But the movie itself kind of lost me in parts. Some scenes were very short; so short it was almost jarring. I assume it's because there's at least 75 minutes more out there. There was a lot of gore which I do not like; however, it is to be expected! If you love history give it a shot! (Pardon the unintentional pun!) The sound mixing is also incredible. There is also a lot of humor to balance out the battle scenes. 

                                                    Saltburn (R) 130 minutes

             
     The story was wild. I am very conflicted. The acting was great. I didn't know any actors except Jacob Elordi (Elvis in Priscilla- I haven't seen yet.)  The story had me on the edge of my seat the last 15 minutes. Barry Keoghan is incredible. I am interested to see where his career goes from here. To say this story is trippy and disturbing is an understatement. But to not acknowledge that it's a fascinating story is a disservice.  I got chills at the end of this film. It was weird and so compelling. It is NOT suitable for kids or even teenagers. I would not watch it with any family members. There are some really odd moments. But one cool thing it was shot in 4:3 which is how films started and only filmed this way for decades, which made it unique to watch in 2023 because its super rare today. It was hard to watch and that will hinder it from ranking higher. If you have seen this, please reach out so we can talk about it. 

                                Wonka** (PG) 116 minutes

               After loving Cruella, I was curious about Wonka since it’s a prequel. When I found out Timothee Chalamet was Wonka, I had to go see it. He was excellent in “Beautiful Boy”, “Dune” and both times hosting on “SNL”. The opening number is incredible! The songs are fun! Theres lots of comedy throughout and it made me cry. The sets are great, as well as the costumes. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a Broadway musical! I am dubbing this the family film of 2023. 

                                Migration (PG) 91 minutes 
               This new Illumination's animated film is so cute! I really enjoyed it! I like how the studio took an idea everyone knows (birds migrate south for the winter) and make that into a fresh, fun idea for kids and families. The voice acting and animation is great. The story moves well. It's funny and heart-warming. My 7-year-old niece said it was "amazing!" I have little negative to say. I think it's solid. 

*Stay tuned for one more review at the very bottom, after the rankings!*
Stick around for the rankings! 

Statistics/ Breakdown/ Frequently Asked Questions:

Total Runtime (including credits, but not previews) over 66 hours!

11 PG films, 13 PG-13 films and 11 R films. I don't think I've seen that many R films in my life. 😂 It was cool it worked out so evenly between the ratings. I definitely didn't plan it that way. 

People ask “How can you afford to see so many movies? It’s expensive!” You’re right but AMC stubs list. $25/month and see 3 movies a week. Joined in April. Best money I’ve ever spent! If you’re a movie buff, it’s worth it! If you see 30 in a year it pays for itself.

"How often do you go see a movie?" In Apr, May, June, July, Sept, and Nov I saw 26 films. Which means in the other 6 months I only saw 7 films total. Feast or famine. 

The 10 Nicholas Awards:


 
Best cinematography- Oppenheimer

  Best animation- Spider verse 2

   Best screenplay- The Covenant

   Best actress- Lily Gladstone (Killers of the Flower Moon)

   Best actor- Barry Keoghan (Saltburn) 

   Best costumes/set design- Napoleon

   Best director- Fuqua (The Equalizer 3) 

   Best soundtrack- Wonka

   Best character- The Wolf (Puss in Boots 2)

   Best cast: Dumb Money


And Now for the Ranking……

I put them in 3 groups. Bottom 10, Middle 14 and Top 10. 

These films (34-25) were alright. To be honest, I didn't despise any film I saw this year but these ones I don't need to rewatch anytime soon. They all have something to offer, and all can find their audience for sure. 

34 Kandahar (R)

33 Trolls 3: Band Together (PG)

32 My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3 (PG-13)

31 About My Father (PG-13)

30 Gran Turismo (PG-13)

29 The Little Mermaid [2023] (PG)

28 Haunted Mansion (PG-13)

27 Journey to Bethlehem (PG)

26 Big George Foreman (PG-13)

25 Wish (PG)

These films (24-11) were solid and would rewatch, but most of them aren't my go-to genre. 

24 Napoleon (R)

23 Guardians of the Galaxy 3 (PG-13)

22 Indiana Jones: Dial of Destiny (PG-13)

21 Mission Impossible 7: Dead Reckoning (PG-13)

20 Flash (PG-13)

19 Next Goal Wins (PG-13)

18 Air (R)

17 Jesus Revolution (PG-13) 

16 TMNT: Mutant Mayhem (PG)

15 Saltburn (R)

14 The Creator (PG-13)

13 Dumb Money (R)

12 The Super Mario Bros Movie (PG)

11 Migration (PG) 

These films (10-1) are solid, and I enjoyed them, especially those top 4! 

Even though I watched 13 PG-13 films only 1 made it in this group. I now wonder if that says something about PG-13 movies, or me? 

10 The Equalizer 3 (R)

9 The Holdovers (R)

8 Elemental (PG)

7 Blue Beetle (PG-13)

6 Oppenheimer (R)

5 Killers of the Flower Moon (R)

4 Spiderman: Across the Spider-verse (PG)

3 Wonka (PG)

2 Puss in Boots: The Last Wish (PG)

1 Guy Ritchie’s The Covenant (R)


Join in the conversation:

There ya have it, folks! My review and rankings. Now go watch one or two! And then let me know what you think! 

What were your favorite and least favorite films of the year? This list isn’t the correct ranking, it’s just mine! I know this was long so thanks for reading. 

As always feel free to like, share and comment!

Let's discuss! What was your favorite? What did I miss seeing?

Here’s to the films of 2024…. And beyond!

*Below are movie posters from the remaining films and one more bonus review.*




















 Bonus Review: Diehard ** (R) 132 minutes 
         
         I have never seen this movie and it was rereleased to theaters for its 40th anniversary so I went. I will not include in my ranking, just a review. People say it's the best Christmas movie ever. Others say it's not even a Christmas movie. Full disclosure, I do NOT think it is a Christmas movie! 

        Bruce Willis is a great actor. The story was compelling, and the acting was good. I feel like this is the most iconic Willis's movie. It was intense with a lot of humor though, which I appreciated. I thought it needed to be about 15 minutes shorter.

        Dolby isn't that exciting with a film as old as this! Haha.

        Welp that's all I got for 2023 and the movies. 

         Thank you for reading! 

Comments